Saturday, March 21, 2009

Hinduism

Hinduism

Hindus believe in Karma, reincarnation and dharma which is personal duty. There is no one founder. It’s the world’s 3rd largest religion after Christianity and Islam with a billion followers. 905 million of these live in India. Hindus do not eat cows because cows are holy. Hindu society honors the cow as a symbol of unselfish giving. Cow–slaughter is legally banned in almost all states of India.

Offshoots of the religion – Sikhs, Buddhism, Jainism.

Main gods – Rama, Sita brother Laxman, Ganesha, Krishna, Shiva, Vishnu, Indra.

The original scriptures were written in Sanskrit the oldest known language.

5 comments:

sri said...

Hi friend.. Interesting post.. Nice blog work.. keep it up..
will drop by your site often.. Do find time to visit my blog and post your comments..
Have a great day.. Cheers!!!

GALLERY kuma said...

interesting synopsis of hinduism. though I am born a hindu,it is hard to define or even put your arms around this religion, actually it is not a religion but a way of living that that has no origins, all other religions that exist even offshoots of hinduism have started by one person. It has been a melting pot of many gods, rituals, confusions, worships, what is pure & impure beliefs, ancient science treating body & mind, reincarnation, KArma etc. Live & let live is one of the foundations of this belief. with three main gods Brahama (the creator), Vishnu (the nurturer) & shiva (the destroyer) all other 330 million gods fall under them. who ever were the founders had gr8 imagination, + R & D to come up with all that & still be able to sustain to date is all I can add.

JFS said...

Have you heard the one of Hindus being extreme and mobs of them are killing Christians and Muslims alike in their country? It is terrible what they are doing.

Daisy said...

Well I believe in Karma. I just don't know what the others are.

Btw, I added a comment widget on my Inlove with Daisy blog. First day it was installed showed you had 13 comments. then 10 now 7. Please tell me this is a glitch in the code and that you aren't deleting your comments... :-(

Daisy said...

Well I believe in Karma. I just don't know what the others are.

Btw, I added a comment widget on my Inlove with Daisy blog. First day it was installed showed you had 13 comments. then 10 now 7. Please tell me this is a glitch in the code and that you aren't deleting your comments... :-(

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...